Monday, December 15, 2008

Initial impressions

Here’s a nuts-and-bolts account of my experience so far. More in-depth and substantive reflections to come. I've been so busy in my first few days I haven't had much time to put pen to paper.

Where am I living: In the capital, Bujumbura, in the neighborhood my roommate Andrew describes as “Manhattan.” The building used to be a seminary and is literally next to the Friends Church. I have running water, an internet connection and can hear choir practice out of my window. Bujumbura is pretty tiny, and I’m beginning to recognize landmarks and figure out what’s north and south.

What I’ve been doing: As soon as I arrived, I traveled upcountry with the Healing and Rebuilding our Communities (HROC) team to Rurengera, a small village in the north. The beautiful drive on the country roads took us through the mountains past green fields, brick houses and eucalyptus trees. In Rurengera, I took part in a HROC Advanced workshop held in a tiny, and old, Friends church there. Twenty people from the village and the nearby Internally Displaced Persons’ camp came together to tell their stories and discuss ways to overcome cycles of violence. I’ve spent the past couple of days exploring Bujumbura.

The food: good, on the simple side, lots of beans and lots of bananas—of which there are several kinds. Naturally, a lot of the produce is organic, local, and delicious.

The music: Has been breathtaking. The HROC workshops use songs to bring the group together and close the days. So, I’ve been treated to beautiful hymns with four-part harmony. I understand many of them are originally western hymns, but they’ve been thoroughly Burundi-ized. I heard La Bamba and Akon on the street the other day.

The language: All of the Burundians I’ve met speak Kirundi with each other, and many have better English than my French; I haven’t practiced as much as I’d like. The Burundian accent tests my French comprehension skills.

On adjusting: My hosts have done a wonderful job of helping me figure out what to do and what not to do and explaining what happens when, where, and why, so I feel I’ve had a head start. I expect progress to slow down soon, though.

All-in-all it's been wonderful and has already surpassed expectations. I look forward to a growthful and eye-opening few months.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gabe,

Thanks for this first post. I hope you will continue to describe what you see, hear, feel, and taste. We get vicarious thrills hearing about it all.

Papa